People use self storage for a number of reasons. Moving, decluttering, organizing – the possibilities are endless. But there seems to be one common reason people turn to self storage: They want to protect the things that matter most. So why should your vehicle be any different?
Simply put, it shouldn’t be. Whether you’re taking an extended vacation, planning to fix up an old classic, or are a military member, vehicle storage is a simple and safe solution. Most of our storage facilities have outdoor or indoor space for that extra car or RV that does not fit in your garage or driveway. Some facilities are equipped with special storage for boat and RVs.
Contact your local Storage Choice facility for car storage today!
Prepping Your Car for Storage
Getting your car ready for storage will not only help avoid costly repairs down the road, but it will also keep your vehicle in prime condition. The following simple steps will help ensure your car is as good as new when you’re ready to take it out of storage.
- Give your car a good wash on the inside and out. Add a layer of wax to help protect the exterior.
- Change the oil and oil filter a couple of days before storing your vehicle. This will keep older, used oil from building up on your engine.
- Use cotton cloths to fill the openings of the exhaust pipes to prevent moisture from getting into the engine.
- Be sure to check all the fluids in your car. If they appear dirty, change them out and make sure they’re at the appropriate levels.
- If you’re storing your vehicle for a long time, overinflate your tires a little bit. It’s likely they’ll lose air while sitting in storage.
- Top off your gas tank to prevent moisture from building up inside the fuel tank. This will also keep seals from drying out.
- When it comes to your battery, check your owner’s manual for details instructions on how to prepare it for storage.
- Last but not least, cover your vehicle tightly with a tarp or car cover to protect it from elements like dust, dirt, and debris.
If you plan on storing your vehicle for a long period of time, it’s important to check in on it once a month and even run the engine for a few minutes each time. If you aren’t able to, be sure to find a trusted friend or family member to keep an eye on your vehicle while you’re gone.
You can rest easy knowing your vehicle will be kept in a clean space with convenient access hours 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Our facilities are also well-lit with 24-hour video surveillance. And should you have any questions, you can always reach out to our on-site management!
Getting Your Car Out of Storage
When you’re finally ready to get that vehicle out of storage again, there are also a few things you want to look over carefully before driving away – especially if your car was stored for a long time. No matter how much prep work you put in before storing your vehicle, there are many uncontrollable and unpredictable elements that can take a toll. Things like the weather, rodents, and issues that naturally occur from letting your vehicle sit for a while can all impact whether your car is safe enough to drive away.
- First, check under your hood for any signs of animals or rodents. If any belts, wires, or hoses are chewed, that’s probably a sure sign you have unwanted visitors living in your vehicle.
- Be sure to remove the cotton cloths you placed in the exhaust pipes when you prepped your car for storage.
- Take a look at and test your brakes to make sure there’s no rust buildup.
- Also, check your fluids to make sure there weren’t any leaks while you were away, and that they are all still clean and at their recommended levels.
- If you took any extra steps to protect your battery, carefully read your owner’s manual to make sure everything is properly reconnected.
- Use a gauge to check your tire pressure. If it’s too low, make sure to fill up before leaving.
- Give your car a good wash to remove any dirt or debris that may have collected during storage.
Find Vehicle Storage Near You
We know you have a choice when it comes to finding car storage, so we strive to make Storage Choice your first. Check out our list of convenient locations with car storage to find your space today!
- Cedar Hill
- Sugar Land