Selecting the Right Unit for Your NeedsPosted on
A climate-controlled storage unit can be extremely convenient, whether you’re moving, remodeling, or just need a bit of extra space. It is important, though, to know how much space you actually need, before beginning the move to self storage. Fortunately, there are a few simple guidelines to help you decide which size of climate-controlled storage unit you really need.
Common Storage Unit Sizes
- A 5 x 5 unit is about the size of a walk-in closet. This may be the right size if you’re a college student, or just need to store a few things. It will hold small pieces of furniture, like chairs and boxes. The slightly larger 5 x 7.5 unit will hold things like bicycles, or maybe a roomful of furniture.
- The next size up of climate-controlled storage unit is usually either 5 x 10 or 7.5 x 10. Maybe you’re in the middle of a move, and everything won’t fit onto a truck. A 5 x 10 unit will hold about a room and a half of furniture, maybe a couch and chair, dresser, and a mattress set, plus some boxes. A 7.5 x 10 will hold two rooms of furniture and boxes.
- A 5 x 15 unit is 75 square feet. It’s pretty much the perfect size for storing an office, including furniture, boxes, and files.
- A 10 x 10 is half the size of a one-car garage, 100 square feet. It will hold about as much as you’d need to store from a one bedroom apartment.
- The 10 x 20 holds five or six rooms of furniture. It’s about the size of a one-car garage, so if you need to store a car, this might be the way to go.
- A 10 x 30 is the size of a forty foot moving van. With 300 square feet of storage, it will hold pretty much whatever you’ve got in the house!
A climate-controlled storage unit is great for protecting valuables, but if they’re crammed together, they may not be as safe as you think. Make sure you know how to arrange your unit, and that you have chosen the right size to fit everything you need to store. Too large of a unit, and you’re wasting money; too small and your items may be damaged.
No matter what size of climate-controlled storage unit you need, for self storage, Texas-based Storage Choice has one to suit you. Protected by a state-of-the-art security system, Storage Choice’s units are easy to access, and the staff is friendly and professional. If you have any questions on what you think will be right for you, give us a call!