Organizing Your Unit to Create Space
A self-storage unit can be extremely useful when you run out of space at home, but you may need some self-storage packing tips to make the most of your extra space. A bit of organization can go a long way toward making the rented space seem larger, so make a plan for your unit before you fill it with your belongings. Here, we offer self-storage packing tips to help you get started.
- First, protect your things from damage. Pack everything carefully, and use wooden pallets, boards or risers to lift boxes and furniture off the floor. Wash things like clothing items before you pack them to minimize bacteria growth, and avoid packing things in plastic bags, which can trap moisture.
- Pack your largest items first. Once you have your large items situated, you can fit the smaller things in around them. Similarly, you should place your heaviest boxes at the bottom, and pack lighter things on top of them to avoid damage. Group boxes of similar size and shape together, to maximize space.
- Put the things you will need first into the unit last. This is one of the most common sense self-storage packing tips, to keep the things you will need near the door. It will be unfortunate to discover you have packed your tool box at the back of the storage unit. Also, be sure to label everything clearly, so that you know what you have and where it is located.
- Pack the most valuable items in the back. To deter theft, pack your prized items behind less valuable belongings.
- Leave a path to the back. Leave a space down the center of the unit to provide easy access between the boxes. Or leave a space to one side to allow for easy access.
- Let some air flow. Keep boxes slightly away from the walls to allow for circulation. You might also want to consider a moisture absorber, to protect your possessions from damp air.
- Pack it in. The more tightly you pack your unit, the safer it will be from dirt and moisture. Use boxes of similar size whenever possible to maximize use of space.
For more self-storage packing tips and other useful information, visit the Storage Choice website. Storage Choice offers climate-controlled self-storage units, in easily accessible facilities, with state-of-the-art security. After you’ve checked out the website, connect with the online community on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.