Items That Need a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit | Blog
Self storage facilities often advertise that they have climate-controlled units, but do you know exactly what that means? The truth is, a climate-controlled storage unit can be defined differently by different facilities. Some facilities regulate the temperature of the units, so that they do not fall below freezing in the winter or rise above ninety degrees in the summer. That can be helpful in protecting things like electronics, which can be damaged by extreme temperatures. However, if you are storing artwork, clothing, or furniture, you should look for a self storage unit with humidity control as well.
Before you choose a self storage facility, answer these questions.
- What is going to be stored? While some items may just need shelter from the elements, others need protection from heat, cold, and moisture. These include leather or wood furniture, tools, artwork and antiques, photographs, books, clothing, cameras, computers and other electronics, and important documents. Consider, too, any special storage needs you might have, such as drive in capacity if you are storing a car.
- How valuable are these items? Self storage can be pricey, but if you’re protecting priceless valuables, it is worth it to spring for the more expensive, more protective units.
- How long will these items be in storage? If your items are only going to be stored for a week or two, climate control may not make much difference. If you plan to keep your things in storage for a matter of months, though, it is important to consider the seasonal conditions in which they’ll be stored.
- What is the climate like in the region? If your self storage unit is in an area that has extreme highs in the summer, or extreme lows in the winter, a climate controlled storage unit is crucial in protecting your valuables. Humidity is another important factor to consider, as damp air can ruin paper, cloth, and other items.
- Does the facility you are considering offer climate-controlled self storage? Don’t assume that it will, because many facilities do not. Climate-controlled units typically cost more than other units, so know what your facility offers before you commit to a rental.
At Storage Choice, the phrase “What is important to you is safe with us” is more than just a slogan. With climate-controlled units, a helpful staff, and state-of-the-art security, at ten Texas locations, Storage Choice is the self storage Texas residents know they can trust. Visit the website for more information, as well as helpful tips on packing and storing your possessions.