Going Off To College: What You Need
College is a time of major transition, and requires a lot of planning beyond the classroom. Whether you’re looking to furnish a dorm room, or seeking out self-storage for college students, here are a few things you might not have thought of when it comes to preparing students for college. Get ready for the time of your life!
- Tools: It may seem silly, but find a small tool set and bring it with you to college, even if you’re living in the dorms. You never know when you’ll need a screwdriver to hold up a broken window, a hammer to open that jar of pickles, or a pair of pliers to help open the self-storage unit you’ve rented.
- USB/Thumb Drive: College is all about sharing—sharing clothes, bathrooms, friends, etc. You’ll also be sharing a lot of files, so keep a few USB/thumb drives handy to carry your English paper from one computer to the next, or to bring your music files to the dorm room down the hall.
- Storage/Organizing Containers: Whether you just need a small three-drawer bedside table or full-size self-storage for college students, be sure to organize as many things as possible. If everything has a certain spot in your dorm room or apartment, you won’t have to fight your roommate when something goes missing.
- Shower Shoes: Even if you’re living in an apartment with roommates, chances are, you’ll be sharing a shower with someone during college. And sometimes, the shower facilities are questionable—so be sure to have a good pair of flip flops or shower shoes to wear on the trek to the bathroom and in the shower. Your feet will thank you.
- Duct Tape: Every person in the world should own at least one roll of duct tape. Whether you need to tape up that poster of John Belushi from Animal House, or you need to temporarily fix a leaky faucet, duct tape is your answer.
- Self-Storage: Now that you’ve moved out of the house, your parents may want to do something different to your old bedroom—maybe convert it into a gym or library. So what are you going to do with all that extra stuff? And, what do you do with your dorm room or apartment full of stuff when the semester is over? Finding self-storage for college students is a must, especially with everything we use today.
Going off to college is an exciting time for parents and students alike. If you’d like more information on how to prepare for a major life change, like moving or heading off to college, check out the rest of our blog. You can also visit our website for more information on self-storage for college students.