Welcome To Storage Choice’s New Blog | Storage Choice BlogPosted on
Upon noticing that Storage Choice has a new blog, you might be thinking, “What makes a climate-controlled or non climate controlled self storage unit exciting enough to blog about?” Well, hold on to your hat! Storage Choice is here to talk to you about all things storage related, and soon you will be waiting breathlessly for the next installment. Let’s begin with explaining the basics of self storage.
How do you choose a storage unit? The average person may not be familiar with all the available options, and may not even know exactly what kind of storage unit he/she needs. Here are some things to consider:
How do you choose a storage unit?
- Before you start looking for a storage unit, think about how long you are going to need it. Some places offer specials for temporary storage; other facilities have discounts for long-term storage.
- Get the space you need. Use a self storage calculator to figure this out, because you will save money by renting only as much space as you need. A self storage unit is always available in a variety of sizes, serving people who need merely an extra closet – like a 5×5; and going up to a unit as large as 20×40. The most common size unit is a 10×10 (or half the size of a one-car garage.) Some facilities will even store gigantic things, like cars, campers and boats!
- When do you need to get into your storage unit? Are you a night person or a day person? Some facilities are accessible twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Ask about gate-access before you commit since you need a location that will meet your needs. It will not be useful if you work 9-6 and your facility is only open 9-5!
- Why would you need to consider a climate-controlled storage unit? Good question! A climate-controlled storage unit is the best place to store things that are sensitive to temperature or humidity.. Leathers, furs, clothing, paintings, film, photographs, furniture, antiques, musical instruments, wine, paper, software, DVDs, CDs, and electronics certainly make the list of items that might require a climate-controlled storage unit.
- How secure is secure? Obviously all storage facilities are supposed to be secure, but some are more secure than others. You may not be looking for Fort Knox, but if you think you need extra protection, find out if the facility you are considering has additional security measures like fencing, surveillance cameras, motion lights, and door alarms. Self storage managers can be a big part of the security solution as well. Some managers live onsite, allowing them to keep a close eye on things. Others are only there during certain hours, but can still make you feel comfortable about leaving your things due to their professional, competent, and friendly customer service. This is an important aspect in self storage: customer service. You want to find a self storage facility where you feel at home, with a staff that cares about keeping your things safe.
- Spring for the insurance. No matter how safe the facility, you should probably get self storage insurance – it is very affordable – starting at $8 per month. It is important to make sure they are protected in the event of natural disaster, accident, or theft. Make you choose a self storage insurance policy that has no deductable.
Whatever kind of storage unit you need, Storage Choice is a great option. With professional staff and easy-to-navigate facilities, Storage Choice has a secure, self storage unit for you. To learn more, visit the website or connect with the online community on Facebook and Twitter. Of course, there will also be more exciting and informative blogs, so stay tuned!